Sunday, March 4, 2012

Checked Off the List

I keep my bucket list right inside my trusty noggin. I've tried writing down bucket list items, but you know how whenever you go to make a grocery list and all that comes to mind is milk and bread? Wait, what were those other 10 million things I kept telling myself I need to remember to get? That tends to be what happens when I try to do write out the ol' bucket list. 
One bucket list endeavor that I've always had but was more of a 'ha, we'll see if I ever actually do that' was running a half marathon. But my sister got it in her head about 4 months ago that this. was. going. to. happen. And I got swept up for the ride. So we trained for 12 weeks, running through the icy winds and the painful shin splints and the crappy days that we all have occasionally. 
Last weekend she flew her newly 37 pounds lighter butt to see me, and to run our half. The time had come. I was so nervous, but she knew more confidently than I that we were ready. When the race buzzer sounded at 7 am last Sunday and we began our run with the sun beginning to rise, I realized we were, too.
I don't think I've ever felt so tired yet so strong in my entire life. Having my sister, my best friend, by my side as I crossed the finish line made it all the sweeter. My near projectile vomiting episode that actually turned out to be just a bit of dry heaving post finish line was only a mild setback (true story, that did happen... not my proudest moment of the day). In pure exhaustion, all we could both keep saying to each other that we couldn't believe it was over. Our 12 weeks of training was up, and the 13.1 mile run complete. We'd reached this once impossible-seeming goal. That pride of overcoming such a physically and mentally enduring obstacle made me realize my overall capability, and oh how great it is.





Who knows what's next? Maybe even a full marathon is in our future!

(PS, sorry for my unannounced blogging hiatus, guys! I guess spring semester sophomore year is way busier than I expected, but I miss the bloggerverse. So expect to be seeing lots more of me again!)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations!! I did my first half marathon 2 years ago- loved it and felt so accomplished. YOU GO GIRL hahah

    xo Rachel

    glamhampton.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete