Monday, October 24, 2011

For Alex

Today I found out a boy I went to high school with died.  I went to my sophomore year homecoming with him.  I call him a boy because that's all I know him as.  I don't know the man he was becoming, or even the person he was yesterday before the car accident.  I only know him as a friend I had four years ago, who asked me to homecoming by surprising me at soccer practice with decorated goals and a pink soccer ball that he had his mom write on for me.  As the kid I had a giddy schoolgirl crush on leading up to the dance.  And as the boy I slowly lost touch with as high school years carried on; people changed, relationships changed, friendships changed.  It happens with everyone, right?  Even though I couldn't tell you the last time I spoke to Alex, he remains fresh in my memories.  I can't explain to you the palpable heartache I feel not only for him and his family, but for the knowledge that I let a friendship that once meant something big to me fade to something so small.

So I invite you to take a challenge with me.  To keep in touch with the people you care about, even those who have touched your life in less obvious ways than your immediate family and closest friends.  Or maybe you're like me, where even those dearest relationships seem to slip to the wayside as daily, often mundane, tasks push their way into the top priority slots.  One of the toughest things for me is balancing the people in my life with the things in my life-- to-do lists, projects, school-- when in actuality, people should always come above the things.  Sometimes it's easier said than done, but hearing about Alex's passing today brought the realization back to me again full force.


And lastly, please say a prayer for Alex and his family.  No one deserves death so early in life.
You are loved and missed, Alex.

3 comments:

  1. Love this so much. you're so right. I miss him already :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off, that is so tragic! My cousin passed away in a car wreck 6 years ago. It was so horrific and I would wish no one to EVER go through something like that. :/ Prayers for your late friend's family.
    Second off, your blog is darling! Love it. :) Welcome to bloggy world! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made my heart hurt. I love reading your writing, girl. It is very real. I'm glad, though, that you learned this lesson early on in life because we never know when someone might leave us. Remember to always make effort in your friendships and with family, cause in the end the people you love are all that matters. Love you.

    ReplyDelete