Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Marvins Room


{original (naughty language warning, FYI)}

I just stumbled upon Drake's song, Marvins Room, today when I was downloading another one of his newest singles.  He comes from a perspective where he's missing a woman that he let go, and he painfully and regretfully wishes he wouldn't have.  He talks about how he parties his sorrows away with drinks, clubs, and other girls, but nothing can get this one woman off his mind.  Completely encompassing the bad boy persona, Drake expresses his intense desire to have her back and his intense hate for the guy she's with now in the song.  His lyrics, albeit pretty blunt and crude at points, elude to the fact that he drunk-calls this woman he can't get over, just to tell her she belongs with him.  For some unexplained reason she actually answers his phone call.

As someone who seems to consistently go for guys literally exactly like this, I resonate with this song.  I've been clicking replay on my iTunes for probably an hour and a half now and have forced all my roommates to fall in love with it, too.  After doing a little YouTube search, I found an almost perfect cover by the adorable Conor Maynard.  His version, while just as emotional, is for sure the PG-13 rated version.  Subtract Drake's excessive cursing (okay Conor still uses the F bomb, but you'll forgive him I'm sure); and add beautiful piano acoustics for the instrumental.  While I love both versions of the music videos, emotional qualities, and song approaches, I think I might actually prefer this latter version.

Do any of y'all seem to go for this kind of guy, slash is anyone else thinking why don't these guys realize what they have when they have it?  Just making sure I'm not the only one...  Also, which version of the song do you like better?

{Conor Maynard's cover}

No comments:

Post a Comment